In 1911, the Reverend Dr. Churchill Gibson Chamberlayne founded the Chamberlayne School for Boys and moved the school to its present location in 1914. The School's name was changed to St. Christopher's School in 1920 after its purchase by Church Schools in the Diocese of Virginia (CSDV) to become one of the first in a new system of Episcopal schools in the commonwealth of Virginia.
During the early years, Dr. Chamberlayne started three initiatives that have served as critical components of the School's focus on leadership development throughout the first century, the Honor System, the Literary Societies, and the Missionary Society. His belief in a liberal education is the foundation of the school today.
The influence of Dr. Chamberlayne as an educator, Episcopal priest, and historian has prevailed for a century and lives on today as we continue to educate the whole boy here at St. Christopher's.
Dr. Chamberlayne developed these programs to support his belief in the key roles that moral courage, service to others, and communication play in the development of ethical, inspirational leaders.